Thursday, August 9, 2012

The "SOUL" Conversation


“You really irritate me.”

 “How can I irritate you?  I don’t even exist!”

“I know you don’t exist.  That is what is so irritating about you.  You are spirit and you are supposed to be nice and placid.  I am not even supposed to know you are around!

Instead, you are outrageous.  You wear plaids and stripes together, you sing at the top of your voice, throw tantrums.  Tantrums!  What kind of spirit are you?

Everyone else got the good kind and I got you!  You even YODELED!”

“Well, yeah, I guess I did.  I don’t know what got into me.  I tried not to.  Honest.  I really, really tried, because I knew it would make you cranky.  

But, the next thing I knew, there I was, sitting there, yodeling.  I couldn’t stop myself.  I just had to yodel.”

“Don’t they have a spirit school or something?  Don’t they have somewhere I can send you so you will come back and do what you are supposed to do, which is to be spiritual?

“Yeah, they call it religion.  They kicked me out.”

“No wonder.  I’d like to kick you out.  How do I get rid of you?

“You can’t.  I have been assigned to you. Forever.”

“Forever?  Come on, is this a joke?  You have tantrums!  

I need a spirit that behaves better.  I need one that does what a spirit is supposed to do. 

I need a spirit that will help me be who I aspire to be.  Who assigned you to me?  Let me know.  I am going to write a letter and complain.  I want a replacement.”

“No dice.  I stay, no matter what.  I’ve been told to come here and stick to you like glue.  I have been told to wear you out and wear you down. I have been told that I am to defeat you over and over again, until you learn to love me.”

“Love you!  I don’t even like you!  Geez, look at that outfit you’re wearing!  Name one reason why I would love you.”

“Because I have your travel itinerary.  Without me, you won’t know where you are going or how to get there.”

“I’ll just take the tickets, thank you.  If I take you with me, you will just do strange things on the trip.”

“Sorry, but actually, you are kinda screwed.  See, the thing is, this is a really great trip.  

It is great beyond your wildest dreams, but you can’t go without me.  And unless you love me, I can’t show you the itinerary.”


"A great trip, Huh?  Beyond my wildest dreams?  Maybe we could work out a deal here.  You teach me to love you…. And I will teach you to not yodel in public.”

"Nope, no dice.  You take me as I am or we don’t go.  Rules from the top.  No deals.”

“You're going to get me, aren’t you?  One way or another, I have to give up and do it your way, don’t I?”

“Yup, that’s the deal.  One way or another, we are going to do it my way.  Now or later, but it will always be my way.”

“So…. Let me see if I get this right.  I get to love you….. and go with you…. Or I get to love you and go with you?”
  
“Yo-de-le-ee-hoo!”
The end. Sacred Hearts ~ Sterling Thompson


Page 223 Sacred Hearts – Daily Reflections for Divine Renegades ~ Sterling Thompson (now out of print)

1 comment: